We can use VBA to Clear only the Content of a specific range, cells or entire worksheet. we can use ClearContents method of Range Object. Rang.ClearContents method will clear only the data in the range and the formats like border, font styles, background cell will remain same and will not be disturbed.
50+ Project Management Templates Pack
Excel PowerPoint Word
Advanced Project Plan & Portfolio Template
Business Presentations Templates Pack
20+ Excel Project Management Pack
20+ PowerPoint Project Management Pack
10+ MS Word Project Management Pack
Excel VBA to ClearContents a Range – Syntax
Here is the syntax to clear the contents in a range. You can clear the data in any range using VBA Range.ClearContents method.
Excel VBA to ClearContents in a Range – Examples
The below macro will show you how to clear the contents in a range using VBA. In this example, we are clearing the data in range “A2 to D10” using VBA.
Sub VBA_Clear_Contents_Range() Range("A2:D10").ClearContents End Sub
Excel VBA to Clear Contents in a Range – Instructions
Please follow the below step by step instructions to execute the above mentioned VBA macros or codes:
- Open an Excel Workbook from your start menu or type Excel in your run command
- Enter some data in any cells in range “A10 to D10” to test this macro. Also format some cell to test this macro.
- Press Alt+F11 to Open VBA Editor or you can go to Developer Table from Excel Ribbon and click on the Visual Basic Command to launch the VBA Editor
- Insert a Module from Insert Menu of VBA
- Copy the above code (for clearing the contents in a range using VBA) and Paste in the code window(VBA Editor)
- Save the file as Macro Enabled Workbook (i.e; .xlsm file format)
- Press ‘F5′ to run it or Keep Pressing ‘F8′ to debug the code line by line.
Now you can observe that the data in the range “A2 to D10” is cleared. You can apply any formats and background color, and try this macro. This will clear only the data and formats will be remained same.
If you want to clear everything including formats and data, you can use Range.Clear method, to clear the comments in a range you use the Range.ClearComments method.
Range.ClearContents: Will clear only the content/data of the range, formats will remain same.
Range.Clear: Will clear the data including cell formats.
Range.ClearComments: Will clear only the comments, formats and data will remain then same.